Tuesday 6 November 2012

It is our honour to introduce... Furball Fables!

Celebrating Animal Shelter Appreciation Week  
by sharing your cuddly stories. 
Today, we would like you to meet our lovely friends:
Furball Fables!

(Celebrating Buddha's 2 nd Birthday this week! From Aug 2010. This is our
very first Furball Fables video. It is Buddha with his two brothers, Lucky
and Ziggy. They are a black siamese mix. We were trying to find homes for
the 3 kittens so we posted on youtube. The Kittens are 5 months old here)

Meow with Furball Fables on

3 Lucky Kittens - Buddha, Ziggy and Lucky
(Furball Human tells the story)
 
The beautiful siamese cat adopted my friend, a senior man living on a
limited budget in Hollywood.  The cat surprised him by having 3 kittens in
his closet.  What to do?

Suddenly his landlady said the kittens had to go right away. My friend
Kathie and I went to get them. We were horrified by his messy apartment.
The kittens were sweet, but stupidly we hadn't realized they were not
socialized.  The kittens were terrified of us.  It was bad comedy trying
to catch them. One bit my hand, hit a vein and my hand instantly blew up
like a balloon and became inflected. Somehow we captured them and limped
away. We were a mess. ( I had to go on heavy duty anti-biotics)

The kittens were fostered by a housesitter (Tabbi) in my friends home.  I
had no idea how hard it would be to find homes for them. For weeks, I asked
everyone I know, sent emails, put up flyers.  Advertised on craigslist, got
hate mail.

Then Tabbi said they'd been adopted.  I was relieved.  I did not know the
housesitter.  I thought it was strange that she would adopt them without
consulting me.  I called her, asking what happened to the kittens.  Tabbi
accused me of harassing her.  She said a rich lady in Malibu had adopted
them, but she did not have the contact info.  Tabbi was vague and details
were not adding up.

I went to see a cat rescue lady near Tabbi's work to see if she knew who had
the kittens. She told me Tabbi had taken them to the pound. That moment
everything got hazy and dark like a bad dream.  I began to cry.  How could
this be? Yes, Tabbi had lied about the kittens.

The rescue woman told me how to find out what happened to them.  I rushed
to the pound and was relieved to know they were still alive.  They were in
an isolation room marked "FEARFUL". They said that I could have the kittens
for $110 each.  A nice employee said he thought they'd be adopted.  He
said I could visit as often as I wanted.  I did not have the money to get
them so I left and cried the rest of the day.  I went back the following 3
days but I was never allowed to see the kittens again.  On the 3rd day a
mean man told me someone was going to die. I  panicked and went to the
front desk to try and get the kittens. They told me to go to the police and
file a report.  I left and drove right there.  The police said it was
complicated and called the animal control supervisor.  The supervisor
finally agreed to let me have the kittens as long as they were fixed, waving
the $330.  I brought them home to live in my bathroom.
Surprisingly my 4 cats made no noise or protest and our new life of 7 cats
in one home began. For the next 5 weeks I continued my daily  job of
trying to find homes and I was close many times.  The house was
playtime-central and I often felt like a prisoner.

Then I made youtube movies of the kittens.  The response was amazing. 
Soon after my neighbor wanted to see the kittens.  2 hours later, Lucky and
Ziggy were gone. 

We were in shock.  My four cats immediately took hold of the 3rd kitten,
Buddha and made it clear "We're keeping him"  It never occurred to me that
they would have a say in it all.  In the end we kept Buddha and our youtube
channel Furball Fables was born.
 

Furball Kitties: 
Merlin, Fairy Princess, Elfin, Yogi and Buddha

More stories about Buddha and his brothers HERE.

Thank you, Furball Fables, for sharing this touching story with us and our readers. 
Remember, Humans - don't buy a kitty if you can adopt one. Save a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment